Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Ed Ozosky on Darkness Radio "EVP" D'OH!!!!!!

Ed Ozosky on Darkness Radio "EVP" D'OH!!!!!! 13 Apr 2013 22:35 #1

• glenjen
  • Shadow Figure
  • Thank you received: 75
I was listening to Darkness Radio the other night, and Dave had Ed Ozosky on as his guest. I had never heard of the guy, but apparently he's connected to the Rhine Institute,a parapsychological org that operates out of Duke University. He's been on Coast to Coast also. He started out by talking about how his group is highly scientific, and is a collection of scientists and audio engineers with vast years of experience, who take the study of the paranormal quite seriously. He went on to trash the paranormal shows on TV referring to them as "garbage". After a while he presented the "crown jewel" of his collection of very "authentic" EVPs. He was in some old place and was trying to get a spirit to speak. What turns up on the audio is a VERY clear voice of a British sounding woman saying three words. Ed brought this EVP to a very qualified linguist, who stated that the EVP was in "no known language" Ed then got the inspiration later to reverse the EVP,and was stunned to hear the words "Is my baby...save it" He was very proud of this EVP, for it's stunning clarity.

Small problem.....Dave (the host) listened to the EVP, and thought it sounded too good to be true. To him, the woman seemed to be saying "ay-vee-ess awd-ee-oh deh-mo" "AVS audio demo". Through a quick web search, he learned of an audio recording software company called AVS audio, who just happen to make audio demo freeware. Turns out, the woman's voice that Ed has touted as one of the best EVPs ever recorded, is actually an audio watermark, that appears on the demo recording, every 30 seconds or so, in order to encourage you to buy the full software. Ed would not accept Dave's conclusion, and insisted on it's authenticity, even though later, Dave found a recording used with the free audio demo software, where you can hear the exact same phrase, in the exact same voice.

A cautionary tale to keep an open mind, and dont get stuck on your own conclusions. Ive provided a link for the show the night afterward, which is kind of a synopsis of the whole embarrassing situation.

Darkness Radio Podcast
Last Edit: 14 Apr 2013 00:11 by glenjen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizmo_MOD, GreenEyedLady_MOD

Ed Ozosky on Darkness Radio "EVP" D'OH!!!!!! 13 Apr 2013 23:31 #2

• Gizmo_MOD
  • Thank you received: 5457
It really is embarrassing, but it's quite important to be able to eat crow, if crow is on the menu. Sometimes, a deeply cherished piece of evidence is shown to be explainable by other means.

I am always really surprised at some people's inabilities to shift their conclusions when an important (to them) piece of evidence is shown to not be what they think it is.

You get anger. You get denial. You get insults. And you get told you are a creep for pointing it out.

You know what? It's as if you have questioned their religious beliefs. And you know what? You have.

A true skeptic / scientific minded person will be able to let go of it, when it's been debunked. When I find myself arguing with someone who is so attached to their picture that they feel it is their uncle Floyd's face in the dust orb, then it's not worth discussing it more.

Most of us here have had experiences that we feel are paranormal in nature. How many of us are willing or would be, to chuck out some that we now believe are totally real? It's hard to do. But, we must be willing to if we ever want to get to the bottom of stuff.
SITE STAFF
Last Edit: 13 Apr 2013 23:34 by Gizmo_MOD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: glenjen, GreenEyedLady_MOD

Ed Ozosky on Darkness Radio "EVP" D'OH!!!!!! 13 Apr 2013 23:58 #3

• glenjen
  • Shadow Figure
Many great points. Not to mention the credibility that you lose when hanging on to something that's been debunked. It's even worse when you set yourself up as a serious man of "science". Ed sent Dave a condescending and insulting email after the show, that made the situation even worse.

Something I didnt mention. Ed admitted during the show that he had used the AVS audio products, but still couldnt seem to make the connection.
Last Edit: 14 Apr 2013 00:13 by glenjen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizmo_MOD, GreenEyedLady_MOD

Ed Ozosky on Darkness Radio "EVP" D'OH!!!!!! 14 Apr 2013 00:11 #4

• Gizmo_MOD
Then Ed has revealed himself to be something of a true believer, rather than a scientist. It's a shame. Rhine is usually known for pretty strict controls and good science.

But, this is a serious flaw that permeates the whole field. On one hand, we have those who refuse to believe ANYTHING ( the pseudo-skeptics / materialists), and on the other extreme there are those who think EVERY little bump in the night is a demon.

It's hard to force yourself to stay open and neutral in the face of your ingrained beliefs. And certainly, it's humbling to be able to say, "I was wrong." or "My original conclusions were incorrect."

But a true skeptic (the good kind) is always ready to shift his beliefs in the face of solid evidence. And a true scientist is after nothing other than truth, no matter what form it takes.
SITE STAFF
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreenEyedLady_MOD

Ed Ozosky on Darkness Radio "EVP" D'OH!!!!!! 14 Apr 2013 00:17 #5

• glenjen
  • Shadow Figure
It seems that with Ed, it has to do more with ego than anything else. He sees himself as above the fray of gullible hillbillies that fall for any odd sound or visual. HIS evidence is the only "real" evidence.

And don't get me going on "orbs".....(BTW- I believe SOME are real.)
Last Edit: 14 Apr 2013 00:19 by glenjen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreenEyedLady_MOD

Ed Ozosky on Darkness Radio "EVP" D'OH!!!!!! 14 Apr 2013 00:34 #6

• Gizmo_MOD
glenjen wrote:
It seems that with Ed, it has to do more with ego than anything else. He sees himself as above the fray of gullible hillbillies that fall for any odd sound or visual. HIS evidence is the only "real" evidence.

And don't get me going on "orbs".....(BTW- I believe SOME are real.)

Here we go again! LOL

I believe SOME are real, too. But orb is way too broad a term. It is used to describe the dust particles bouncing a flash back, as well as light anomalies tht can be paranormal in nature.

If I always called ice cream cones "orbs," when I mentioned that I had eaten an orb, people would get all bent out of shape and declare me a nutjob. (Well, they do anyway, but this is beside the point.) But this is a similar problem. This stinkin field doesn't have enough nuanced terminology for things.

Orbs, demons, ghosts...all are general - too general - terms for possible innumerable specific and DIFFERENT phenomena. If ever we wish to progress into a richer and more detailed understanding, then we had better develop the LANGUAGE to describe it. Right now, it feels to me like we are doing what amounts to pointing and grunting like cavemen. (Not really, but I liked the visual)

We need LANGUAGE. We need specific language. Once we gain that, then there will never be this orb confusion. We can move on!
SITE STAFF
The following user(s) said Thank You: glenjen, GreenEyedLady_MOD
Don't have an account yet? Register Now!

Sign in to your account